You’re in a car accident, what do you do?
You are driving along the highway in your brand new Toyota. Out of nowhere, another car suddenly bumps into yours, wrecking your car's rear lights and bumper.
You hit the emergency brake and stop You start to think. “Oh no! Now what?”
FIRST of all, keep calm, don’t panic and follow these steps.
1. Take down the details of the vehicles involved in the accident:
- The licence plate numbers
- The car's year and model
- The colour of the car
2. Take down the details of the driver / passengers / witnesses:
- Their names, addresses and IC number
- The driver’s driving licence number
- Telephone number (work and home)
3. Take photos of the accident scene
- Take photos of the vehicles involved
- Don't forget to take photo of both vehicles' damaged parts
- If your car has a dash cam, save a recording for it for evidence
4. Lodge a police report of the accident:
- By law, you must lodge a police report within 24 hours of the accident
- Explain how the accident happened
- ALWAYS ask for a certified copy of the police report
5. Keep proper records:
- certified copies of police reports
- medical reports (if any)
- receipts for any incurred expenses
The next stage would be filing claims for your wrecked Toyota..
Stay tuned next time to find out more!
Pic credits: thecord.ca